Friday, September 7, 2012

Apron Love


It's shameful how far behind I am on blogging, among other things; but at least I'm making progress with our home school.
For now, that's paramount.
I've also managed to squeeze in a little sewing lately, after our whirlwind summer.

Last week I was a bit bummed that Amy didn't do a Sew & Tell (because I was ready for once), but I was tickled to find that she posted one for this week. 
She deserves a LOT of grace, though. She's been such a wonderful leader of her sewing followers for a few years, and I admire her greatly! Plus, she's a military wife with three small children.
(Been there.)
Need I say more?

A friend from my hometown - whom I haven't seen in YEARS, but who found me on Facebook a while back - asked me to make a couple of aprons for her.
Fortunately, she is a very patient and gracious friend, who hasn't yet shown any perturbation at how long it's taking me to finish.

This week, I finished Lisa's first apron:



I used this apron as a basic guide, but changed some details.

I love my family for so many reasons, one of which is the way they cheer me on. When I brought the finished product downstairs to show everyone, they showered me with affirmation.
The girls were even a bit disappointed to learn that this isn't for one of us.





As pleased as I am with the outcome, and as much as I love the fabric, it feels so good to know that someone else will enjoy wearing this in the kitchen.

Now it's time to get upstairs and start putting together #2.

Hop on over to Amy's Sew & Tell to feast your eyes on all of the fabulous creations there!

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful apron! I'd be afraid to cook in it unless I protected it by wearing a smock on top. ;-) Your friend is very lucky and I'm sure she'll be delighted.

    One question -- what is that little loop for? A pot holder, dish towel, small timer???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rebecca!

      Thanks so much! Yes, I use that loop on my own apron to hold a dish towel, so I added one for Lisa, as well.

      I like the little timer idea. If I could find one on a carabiner, I'd feel like the most hip cook alive!! Thanks for the tip!

      I know what you mean about not wanting to cook in a pretty new apron, but I got over it with the one I made for myself last Thanksgiving. At some point, I got blackberry something-or-other on it. It was officially initiated. I tend to be rather OCD about the condition of most of my things, but my alter ego loves to have pretty things for messy jobs. :-)

      Delete
  2. I was thinking the same thing as Rebecca, it looks far too glamourous to use as an apron. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work! I like the loop, too! I used to share my creations with a co-worker, who is a fellow quilter, at my previous job. We called them "Ooo and aah" parties. Our poor boss was appreciative of our work that we shared, but all the quilting talk was overwhelming at times! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phyllis! What a fun tradition! I'd love to have an "ooh and "aah" party. :-)

      Delete